Topics covered in this course include: developmental milestones of communication, assessment in the communication domain, indicators of common disabilities related to communication development, service planning to address needs in communication development, and evidence-based intervention strategies.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe terms, components, and the sequence of communication development in young children.
- Identify indicators and characteristics of common disability conditions related to communication development.
- Discuss tools and practices appropriate for evaluation and assessment of communication development.
- Develop functional, relationship-based outcomes based on the needs identified through an assessment of communication development.
- Describe appropriate, evidence-based intervention practices that may be used to address developmental needs in the communication domain.
Topics Covered in Each Two-Week Lesson Cycle
Weeks 1-2: Development of Communication Skills
- Define common terms in the area of communication development
- Define the essential components of a child’s communication system
- Describe typical communication development in infants and toddlers
Weeks 3-4: Red Flags, Common Disabilities, and Referrals
- Recognize behaviors and characteristics that indicate a need for assessment
- Describe the characteristics of the most frequently occurring communication disorders
- Describe the impact of specific developmental disabilities on communication
Weeks 5-6: Essentials of Assessment of Communication Development
- Identify multiple tools and practices to assess development and progress in the area of communication
- Restate findings of a communication evaluation or assessment report to a child’s family
- Describe how communication assessment can be conducted using typical family routines and activities
Weeks 7-8: Outcomes, Services, and Coordination
- Identify a family’s concerns, priorities, and resources for their child’s communication development
- Identify possible functional, family-focused outcomes for a child with a communication disorder
- Explore service and support options based on the needs of the child and family
Weeks 9-10: Intervention Strategies to Work With Children and Their Families
- Describe relationship-based intervention strategies to support families in supporting the communication development of their young children
- Identify resources and strategies for promoting the communication development of young children
- Identify intervention strategies for integration into natural environments to address the communication disorders of young children